180g High Quality Pressing! Pressed at Pallas in Germany! Re-mastering by Ray Staff at Air Mastering!
Irish singer Mary Black is well known for deftly combining her Celtic roots with contemporary folk. On this release, she offers another strong set of songs, as she interprets songs from American folk favorite John Gorka ("Treasure Island") and connects with Anglo-folk tradition on the lovely "One Way Donkey Ride" (written by Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention fame). The acoustic instrumentation feature a rich blend of guitars, fiddles, saxophones, and accordions that add a timeless feel to most of her songs.
The highlight of the album is "Loving Time," an emotional story of star-crossed lovers told with a bittersweet aching that few artists could deliver so poignantly.
Mary Black's voice remains an incredibly expressive instrument that makes this another solid effort.
- 180g High Quality Pressing
- Pressed at Pallas in Germany
- Re-mastering by Ray Staff at Air Mastering
- Mary Black, vocals
- Declan Sinnott, guitars, lap-steel, mandola, backing vocals
- Pat Crowley, accordion, piano, backing vocals
- Garvan Gallagher, double bass
- Carl Geraghty, saxophone
- Dave Early, drums, percussion
- Frank Gallagher, fiddle, synth, whistle
- Mairead Ni Mhaonaigh, vocals
- The Vanbrugh String Quartet
- Mel Mercier, tabla
1. Summer Sent You
2. Flesh And Blood
3. The Loving Time
4. Golden Thread
5. The Holy Ground (Traditional)
6. Treasure Island
1. The Holy Ground
2. One Way Donkey Ride
4. Lay Down Your Burden
5. Paper Friends
6. Poison Words